Samsung unveils 5-inch Galaxy S 4 with new features like Dual Camera, Smart Scroll and more
In a sparkling event, Samsung has unveiled its new flagship smartphone Galaxy S 4 at New York’s famous Radio City Music Hall. For those that weren’t lucky enough to get into Radio City Music Hall, Samsung gave fans a chance to join the live stream from Times Square.
The smartphone looks pretty similar to its predecessor Galaxy S III, which crossed many success milestones and sold over 100 million units in 2012.
“With the GALAXY S 4, Samsung is again going to enhance the way we live,” said JK Shin, President and Head of IT & Mobile Communications Division at Samsung. “All the innovative features of GALAXY S 4 were developed based on the insights and needs we found from our consumers all around the world.”
GS4 will come in two color white frost and black mist with improved as well as several new software features and a refined User Interface.
Samsung Galaxy S 4 Tech Specification:
- 5-inch full HD Super AMOLED display with 1920x1080p resolution, 441 PPI
- Corning Gorilla Glass 3
- Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean
- 1.6GHz octa-core Exynos 5 processor with PowerVR SGX544MP or 1.9GHz Qualcomm S4 Pro quad-core processor with Adreno 320 GPU (depending on market)
- 16/ 32/ 64 GB internal memory + microSD slot (up to 64GB), 2GB DDR3 RAM
- 13-megapixel rear camera with Flash & Zero Shutter Lag, BIS and a 2-megapixel front camera, Full HD recording @30fps with Zero Shutter Lag, BIS
- Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac (HT80), GPS / GLONASS, NFC, Bluetooth 4.0 (LE), IR LED (Remote Control), MHL 2.0
- Sensors: Accelerometer, RGB light, Geomagnetic, Proximity, Gyro, Barometer, Temperature & Humidity, Gesture
- Dimensions: 136.6 x 69.8 x 7.9 mm, 130g
- 2,600mAh battery
On the software front, Samsung is introducing several new features; here is a look at some of the prominent ones:
It allows simultaneous use of both front and rear cameras. When clicking images, users can choose from a variety of frame effects which blend the two pictures naturally and also adjust the size of the small picture inside the big one.
An improved version of Air View in Note series devices, Air View now supports fingers too. It allows users to hover with their fingers to preview the content of an email, S Planner, image gallery or video without having to open it.
This feature provides instant translation and supports both from speech to text and text to speech. Right now, there is a support for nine languages in S Translator.
Smart Scroll / Smart Pause
We have already heard a lot about it. Smart Pause uses front camera to track your face and if it moves away from the phone screen, the feature pauses the video playback. On the other hand, Smart Scroll uses face movement to scroll the browser or emails up and down without touching the screen.
S Voice Drive
To help users operate their S 4 while driving, Samsung is releasing S Voice Drive. It can activate commands via voice control for optimization when driving.
Samsung has included IR Blaster on S 4, and WatchOn is a feature to make use of that. It uses the IR Blaster to make your Galaxy S 4 universal remote for you TV, set-top box, DVD player and even air conditioner.
Samsung has not confirmed the price of the device but it is expected to be around $725. According to Samsung, the Samsung Galaxy S 4 will go on sale beginning the end-of-April in 155 countries via 327 operators.